With Nintex Workflow 2007 it is possible to create/design workflows directly on SharePoint Site (looks like a AJAX enriched webapp). Also, there are some adapters for connecting to 3rd party Systems like Siebel or Biztalk.
Description from vendor:
Nintex Workflow 2007 enables organisations to build complex workflow processes quickly and easily using a web browser interface. Nintex Workflow 2007 empowers users across the organization to automate business processes, review workflow activities and automate common SharePoint administrative tasks.
Nintex Workflow 2007 is available in three editions – Standard, Enterprise and Workgroup.
Empower business users across your organisation to:
- Automate business processes
- See real-time feedback of workflow activities
- Create workflows in hours not days
- Automate common SharePoint administrative tasks
- Generate rich enterprise-level reporting
- Draw it, not code it
Empower developers across your organisation to:
- Connect to external data via SQL, Web Services, LDAP, XML
- Create and use your own Workflow Foundation activities
- Interact via a Web Service API
- Extend and customize using the Nintex Workflow SDK
- BizTalk integration
- Active Directory provisioning